Monday, November 18, 2013

Packout and China Familiarity

Sitting here in my empty apartment and it is finally sinking in. I'm leaving Shenyang forever. The time has come to say goodbye and I have to say that I don't feel ready. Two years went by so fast; within a blink and it was gone. It seems like just yesterday that I arrived all fresh-faced and eager to start. But when I sit and think about it, the waves of memories come rushing back. It has been a great tour here, and the people certainly are the best thing about this post.

Packing out this time was much easier than my first experience almost two and half years ago. Now I know what I need to have with me when I am at FSI and what I can say goodbye to for another eight months until I get to Rome. Thankfully, I underestimated the size of my UAB (unaccompanied air baggage) and was pleasantly surprised when the packer coordinator asked if I wanted to add anything else, since I had about 100lbs more. Yes, please! I'll add some more baking supplies, shoes and clothes! The rest of everything else is non-essential, like my books and decorations. I shipped the leftovers of my consumables via HHE (house-hold effects) since in Rosslyn I'll be able to get anything I want at the local stores.

All in all, 37 boxes later, I felt a wave of relief. There's nothing like saying goodbye to ALL OF YOUR STUFF and being as light as two suitcases and a backpack. I'll probably also ship some personal boxes by mail with my spices and my winter coat, since although I won't need a coat in Hawaii, I will need one when I get back to Philadelphia later in December. The packout process also allowed me to pair down a good deal of junk. I donated a few bags of clothes to the consulate staff as well as about 25 pairs of shoes (about 1/3 of my shoe collection). Some things should have been given away before I left for Shenyang, but ended up collecting two years of dust instead. Thankfully, now much of the excess has been given to others who could use it.


Pulling out clothes and packing my suitcase for three climates was slightly tricky, given that I will be in hot, tropical weather in Hawaii, cool and windy weather in Phoenix, and then cold and wintry mix in Philadelphia. But amazingly I did it! Only packed about 12 pairs of shoes, so that's actually not too bad. ;)

Leaving China hasn't really sunk in yet either. I've spent almost my entire educational life and most of my career focused on this country, so transitioning to an Italian mindset will be a challenge. I've talked with other officers who also come from an Asian-studies background and they agree. After a tour in China, being comfortable with the culture and language and history, moving to a new country, climate and locale can be intimidating. But also refreshing for a lifetime student like myself. I'm kind of nerding out about the idea of going back to school full time to study a language. What other career can you get paid for studying Italian as part of your job (and then go live in Italy)? Not many...

As the days tick down, I have a few more things to do: final going-out night in Shenyang, Chinese food tour around town, and an intimate farewell Thanksgiving with friends. I'm looking forward to all of it and catching up with people before I head out. On the horizon after that?? Sunrises, sunsets, and scenery in paradise....

No comments:

Post a Comment