Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving Memories

Thanksgiving seems like both yesterday and ages ago, but for good reason. Yesterday because the entire day was filled with such wonderful memories; ages ago because the last seven days have been out of this world. But more on that in the next post. Now, to reflect a bit. Thanksgiving was my last day in Shenyang. My first tour of two years, culminating in my favorite holiday with a handful of the people I love. I planned it that way, of course. ;)

When I was scheduling my departure in my TMTWO itinerary, I had the option of leaving 30 days +/- my original arrival date at post. Since I arrived in Shenyang on November 30, 2011, I could leave as early as 11/1 or as late as 12/30. Departure dates are a negotiation between the losing post (Shenyang) and the gaining post (Rome), but because I am not going directly to Rome and instead going to training, my departure was a bit more flexible. My official Italian training starts in February, and I was able to schedule in about a month of other training before that to fill up the month of January. But there was no way that I was going to stay at post an extra month and miss the holidays with my family. Plus, I had to fit in my congressionally-required 20 work days of home leave. So that backs us up a bit to late November. Since I was planning to make a few stops en route to Philadelphia, I was faced with the decision of spending Thanksgiving on the road in an airport or spending it at home in Shenyang with family. Naturally, I chose the latter option.

Having already packed out 99% of my stuff, I felt a bit incapacitated as the day approached. R & P had offered to host an intimate Thanksgiving meal with six of my closest colleagues/friends. But without my pots, pans, and baking ingredients, how was I supposed to contribute to this fabulous meal? Thankfully, everyone opened up their apartments and their hearts to me, allowing me to mix my leftover ingredients with their pantries' and assist with the menu planning. What would I do without these people?

True to form, R & P came up with a fabulous lavender-infused brine and rub for the turkey, and planned out a multi-course meal that absolutely was one of the best. Evenings like this are the essence of living in Shenyang. In a place where luxury is often hard to come by, we have to find our own ways of enjoying the good life. Simple ingredients are often unavailable, and intricate meals take a good deal of planning. I hoarded a can of cream of mushroom soup for 4 months in preparation for the green bean casserole I made for this meal, knowing when I saw it randomly in the supermarket in Beijing that I might not see it in Shenyang in the weeks to come. Can't find your trusty can of French's Fried Onions? Thanks to the internet, I made my own crunchy, pan-fried onions. Grocery store doesn't sell sweet potatoes? How about buying them from that guy on the corner down the street who roasts them from his own garden in the countryside… In Shenyang, you've gotta be creative. That's what I love about this place. I'm proud to have survived and live the sweet life with these people.

Around about noon, I walked over to the Crowne to start cooking with R & P. R greeted me with fresh-squeezed orange juice (because he's an OJ snob and loves pulp) and champagne, with which we toasted the BFF via Skype. Without her here, Shenyang Thanksgiving isn't fully complete. However, by videoconferencing her in, it felt a little better. I'll copy the full menu below, but my contributions were as follows: - green bean casserole with fried onions - rosemary roasted butternut squash with pine nuts - pumpkin spice frosted cupcakes

Thanks to everyone for letting me use their casserole pans, cookie sheets, cupcake tins, and pantry items; it was a great success because I had your help. Cooking my last meal in Shenyang with my best friends was a huge treat for me. Not only was I doing the thing I love best in the house (baking/cooking), but I was doing it with the people love and that made it super special.

Nomming our way through the afternoon, we team-efforted dinner to completion around 5:00pm and ate right on time. Everything, was absolutely delicious. Like I mentioned above that it takes a bit more preparation and planning to put on a great meal, the hard work makes it that much tastier. Whether its the recipes, the chefs, or that extra ingredient of hard work, the meal tasted divine. I had a moment of bliss as I sat there and looked around, the wasabi/pear-apple cranberry sauce dripping over my garlic mashed potatoes, listening to these wonderful people compliment and describe what they were eating in the most genuine of ways. Perfection!

After dinner, we had a dessert intermission with some hooting: guitars and ukeleles were brought out and the classics were sung. "Shenyang, Shenyang" and "Don't Stop Believing," the two local anthems. Although this time, there was a twist. Just as Ms. M had prepared a song for J upon his departure, she fashioned a song for me to that famous Journey song (lyrics below). Almost in tears, I couldn't imagine anything better, but of course that wasn't the end of it. P had one-upped herself in creating a departing scene with Photoshop to help commemorate my first tour and my time in Shenyang (picture below). Needless to say, I was floored. Perhaps the humor doesn't translate over the internet, but these two items mean more to me than words can describe. I'm so happy to have the opportunity to serve here, in this cold town, with these awesome people.

This year, I am thankful for so much. For my family, who is patiently waiting for my return home and with which I will get to spend the holidays. For my friends, old and new, who support me through this crazy life by being there for me in person and digitally. For my career, which has granted me endless opportunities to learn, travel, and explore this grand earth. And for my health, without which none of this is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment