Friday, November 1, 2013

A Dongbei Halloween

Life has been crazy for me these last two months. October was a WHIRLWIND and as November starts, I have entered my LAST MONTH in Shenyang. Who could believe it? Certainly not me.

Autumn is my favorite season, both at home and in Shenyang. Thankfully, I had the opportunity to spend a bit of time in both, for better or worse. After a great trip to Changbaishan in September, I had a quick trip back to PA to spend time with my family. Upon returning, I jetsetted off to Cambodia for absolutely the best trip of my life to date. The pictures don't do the country justice, but I'd go back in a heartbeat for another chance to explore that lush, green jungle. After Cambodia, the ball really started rolling at the Consulate and work was crazy.

With a new batch of colleagues and friends, the pace and the tone of the Consulate has changed completely. And naturally so. I enjoy seeing the difference in how people work, and as R so eloquently put it one day, it shows that everyone can succeed in the Foreign Service. Whether you are outgoing and charismatic, introverted and focused, or somewhere in between, I have seen people of all categories get to the top levels of the FS and come out on top. I like that kind of flexibility and the promise that I can fit in somewhere too.

To celebrate this wonderful season of new beginnings and things to be thankful for, M hosted the most fabulous Monster Mash and Birthday Bash ever. I enjoyed prepping for this Halloween party immensely. At the last minute, I changed my costume for this particular event. With an idea in mind, I went all out after being inspired by a local Dongbeiren. For those of you who don't know, I live in the part of China known as the Dongbei 东北 which means literally east north, or northeastern China. Dongbeiren, or dongbei people, are a hearty breed of Chinese with some fashion sense that could be described as... all or nothing.

Whether it is glittery and rhinestoned skull t-shirts, studded and spiked platform chunky boots, 1/2" thick nude tights with leather shorts, or copious amounts of cat print, anything goes as long as it's all out (bonus points for matching with your significant other). Once I knew what I had in mind, I couldn't stop seeing potential outfit essentials everywhere. I was shocked at every corner because I wanted to buy just ONE MORE THING to make an essential set. As the party drew near, I had finally assembled the entire outfit, much to my satisfaction.

2D and 3D Dongbei Cat Print!!!
From the shoes to the glasses and contact lenses, everything I wore on Halloween was cat print. Everything. Even my fuzzy, gem bedazzled, glittery purse. The problem? When I went to the club, no one knew I was in costume!!! Oh China! Shenyang wins again!!

Un-ironic local Dongbeiren at the club

No comments:

Post a Comment