Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Cambodia: Siem Reap (Day 3.5)

Siem Reap is amazing. And I know this from just a few hours of being here.

First of all, the reason I chose the hotel I did in Siem Reap was because of the airport-hotel transfer. 1964 Mercedes Benz, suckaaaaa! Of course the driver would think there would be two in my party ("Where is your husband, Mrs. Brosious?) so I had to drink both of the fresh, hand-squeezed, pineapple juice drinks he pulled out of the cooler.

Second, this hotel is nestled in a wooded paradise off the main drag, but still in the downtown area. The grounds themselves are a sight to see, with lush green foliage everywhere, intricate but classy woodwork, a real sense of serenity around.

And third, (this is the greatest of all), the lowest class room I booked was not available when I checked in. How is that great? Because I was upgraded to the PRIVATE MASTER VILLA!!! CAN YOU SAY LUCKY DUCK!?!

After crawling all of the compound to take pictures, arranging for my spa day on Saturday, and oogling my suite, I called the front desk for a tuk-tuk. Mr. Hak, my driver, offered to be my tuk-tuk guide for the whole trip. We set off for Phnom Bakheng for the first night's sunset.
Underwhelming for color, but impressive for scale. On the way, I saw Angkor Wat!! Sooooo many tourists were with me at Phnom Bakheng, all taking photos and chattering away in Chinese. Mostly Mainlanders, to be honest, but it was fine keeping to myself.

Note to self: wear long dresses or pants because some temples DO require more modesty. I wasn't allowed in with the shorts I was wearing, but thankfully I had a shawl I could use as a skirt. Great success!

So far, my seven hours in Siem Reap have been infinitely more relaxing and enjoyable than anything else I could have imagined. Like Myanmar, Siem Reap is to Bagan what Rangoon is to Phnom Penh. A respite from a hustle, bustle, developing city full of culture and noise. PP certainly has more "stuff" to offer, but I think that the political and economic offerings have enabled it to grow more than Rangoon. In some ways, I hope Myanmar stays undiscovered but still continues to develop. Highly unlikely, seeing the trend here with tourists enjoying Cambodia. In any case, this is a truly remarkable country.

No comments:

Post a Comment