Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Cambodia: Phnom Penh (Day 3)

Itinerary
  • Crêpe Mania - OPEN!
  • Russian Market
  • Wat Phnom
  • Brown's Coffee Riverside
  • Airport transfer to Siem Reap
Sleeping in was a great idea. The morning view from my canopy bed was stunning, with blue skies and temples. ::awe:: So beautiful and serene.
They don't call it the Frangipani Royal Palace Hotel for no reason
I retried going to Crêpe Mania and it was definitely worth going back. The owner said that they were doing a photo shoot the day before for a new menu, so I was glad to have the chance. First, great music soundtrack. I had to keep pulling out my phone to Shazam songs I liked but hadn't heard before. Yay for new mellow music!
My delicious breakfast
Second, what IS it with Phnom Penh and all the good food?? So tasty I couldn't get enough. I had the Madame, like a croque-monsieur plus an egg, wrapped in a tasty whole wheat crêpe. I'd totally come back here a dozen times to try all the types of sweet and salty/savory flavors they offer. A great place to read the newspaper too... PS I need to find another word other than "great" because I obviously use it too much here in Cambodia.

The Russian Market: just another Asian market. BUT, more "real" than the Central Market that is geared to tourists. Locals were shopping here, getting their hair done, buying groceries, and bartering for home goods. There were some incredible colorful photo opportunities in the fabric section and I
bought some souvenirs for the family. I still can't get over the fabrics and silks. Absolutely stunning and in every color imaginable. I bought one today and three yesterday. I know I won't be able to choose which to give away as gifts.

At Wat Phnom
Wat Phnom was a small and slightly run down temple, but perhaps that's because it's still used quite a bit. I enjoyed looking at the bronzes and it was certainly a taste of things to come in Siem Reap. Located on the phnom/hill that the city was named for, this wat/temple is situated at a roundabout, one side of which faces the U.S. Embassy. A newish complex that seems massive compared to the Consulate in Shenyang. Perhaps a future tour in Cambodia? I think yes...

I had a quick lunch at Brown's Riverside location with a local woman I met at the Central Market and her two adorable children. Interesting conversation as well. Her advice? Although unsolicited: life is better with children and without men, since blood will always be thicker than love. Woof! I didn't ask too many questions but I can bet there are some stories behind that!

More iced drinks!
After a hot and dusty tuk-tuk ride to the airport, plus a quick 45-minute plane ride, I landed in paradise. COMPLETELY. I could go on and on about Siem Reap... for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment